Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Training, training, training

3 weeks to go...

I had the opportunity to go to Lake Placid for a long training weekend.  As I'm reflecting on it, I feel like I'm walking away knowing exactly what I need to focus on throughout the next several weeks.  

We arrived on Friday evening and immediately pulled on our wetsuits for a quick swim.  The water was amazing!  However, I don't see how kids swim in it with only their bathing suits.  After our swim, we went to our first information meeting where the coaches broke down the bike course turn by turn.  I think the scariest part of the conversation was when they were talking about the descents and "feathering" our brakes.  We can get up to 50-60 miles an hour easily!  Wow!  I don't think I ever want to go that fast on two little tires. 

Saturday morning, we all met at the Olympic oval to head out on our bike ride.  The first loop was absolutely breathtaking with the views.  In my mind I kept thinking, hold back because the second loop is going to be tough.  They weren't lying.  I tanked.  My mind got the best of me and negative thoughts took over.  I was an emotional wreck and then just when I think it couldn't get any worse...I fell.  Long story short, I ended up taking the sag wagon back into town and called it a day.  I ended up going about 90 miles that day.  

Lesson learned?  You bet.  This is going to be the biggest mental game I'm ever going to play.  What really helped was speaking to the rest of the team and the coaches and getting their feedback on how to handle it when the going gets tough.  So, the next several weeks I'm going to focus on my mental preparation than anything.  On the outside looking in, one would think that I should have all I need to prepare mentally.  I'm doing this for my little girl who has gone through so much.  My little girl who didn't ask for any of the things that she had endured. Well, it's more than that when your out there.  Don't get me wrong, it will keep me going, but it's going to be fighting through more pain and digging deeper than I ever thought humanly possible.  

Sunday was much better than Saturday.  Cycling is my weakest link, so I was in my comfort zone during the swim and run.  We started the day by swimming the entire 2.4 mile swim.  I always have anxiety, so I waited a bit and really had to talk myself down before getting into my groove.  My second lap was much better than my first and I ended up swimming the course in about 1:15 minutes.  

We had an hour or so break before we met for our 18 mile run.  I felt pretty good for the most part.  I had the honor of running about 9 miles or so with a pretty amazing guy.  He has his mental game down to an art and we were able to chat about how to prepare for that.  I'm going to take his suggestions and literally visualize myself throughout the day and how I'm going to handle everything and perform the way I'm supposed to.  I ended up getting pretty thirsty so-again-something I learned and better get my plan in check.  I finished the run and felt like the day was a success.  (I needed it after Saturday.) 

Overall,  I walked away from this weekend with so many things I've learned and things that I need to work on.  I'm so thankful that I got to experience all of this with so many great and positive athletes.  I'm excited to know that on race day, I will be able to see people I know out on the course and see coaches along the way cheering me on.  We are all in the same boat together.  

When I cross that finish line, I will cry.  This is such an emotional journey.  

2 comments: