Sunday, April 21, 2013

Week 10-11

My how the time flies!  I looked at my last post and realized it was before my 1/2 Ironman a few weeks ago.  So let me start with a quick recap.

70.3 Texas:  I felt completely ready for this race.  I started the day pumped and eager to start.  I had my wetsuit on and jumped off of a dock to start.  I was a little nervous about the type of start, simply because it was foreign to me.  When I hit the water, I couldn't believe how cold it was.  Freezing.  Still feeling confident, I moved my way to the middle of the pack knowing that I am a strong swimmer.  The gun went off, I put my head under water to swim and I lost it.  I couldn't move.  I couldn't breath.  I panicked.  I knew that if I didn't get my head in the game I wouldn't make it.  I rolled over on my back and let the others pass me while I refocused and talked myself into calming down.  Luckily, it worked.  I tried swimming again, and this time, I was off.  Before I knew it I was exiting the swim and feeling great.  The bike was flat out and back course.  It went by without a hitch, well except for getting off the bike twice to go to the bathroom.  (Apparently, a skill of using the restroom on the bike works for some triathletes.  Maybe we should address that later.)  I really tried to stay focused on my coaches words of encouragement and I think it paid off.  When I transitioned from the bike to the run, I still felt great.  I started my run a little too fast and had to slow down, but over all I walked away from this race with a smile on my face.


Training:  This is just a glimpse of my training this weekend.  Friday:  Two hours on the bike.  30 mins strength training.  Saturday:  Two hour run.  (I was supposed to swim as well, but I was STARVING after my run, so I ate instead.)  Sorry, coach.  :)  Sunday:  I was on my bike for almost 4 1/2 hours and really felt beaten up by the time I got off of the bike.  Followed by a 30 min. run.  Let's just say that I took my 30 min. run indoors because the wind won today.

It seems like when I'm thinking "Holy Cow! What have I gotten myself into???"  Things like this happen:


That's right.  After months and months of trying, she's finally riding her bike without training wheels.  

Perseverance.  







No comments:

Post a Comment